Hello from Los Angeles!

Presentations,questions,everything...only in english language,please

Moderator: UMMM461

Rezzato
Nou venit
Nou venit

Hello from Los Angeles!

Post by Rezzato »

Hey guys, just picked up this ARO M461 not long ago. It was from Oregon and the last sticker on the plate was 1974. I will be doing a cheap restoration to bring it into daily driving condition. New mechanics, body work with mat paint. It is missing the engine so I am planning to use a Chevy I4. Can anyone tell me about the transmission? It is complete and in the car, is it worth keeping or shall I replace it with an American transmission?
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Werner
Aro Club Romania
Aro Club Romania

Re: Hello from Los Angeles!

Post by Werner »

Original it was a 2500 ccm engine, calls M207.

What is whit that Dodge A100 Pick-up in the background? I' looking since years for so car, but in Europe it did not exist. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rezzato
Nou venit
Nou venit

Post by Rezzato »

That's not a Dodge, I'll give you a hint, it is a Chevy!

What can you tell me about the transmission? Thanks!
socratee
Membru Devotat
Membru Devotat

Post by socratee »

What you wanna know about transmission?

wolfman
Membru
Membru

Post by wolfman »

The transmission was not so bad for this cars even in soft or medium off-road driving. I think an engine with 200-250 Nm of torque, maybe a little more will not cause you many problems but you have to think about spare parts. If you'll have problems with boken clutch, shafts, brakes, drive shaft U-Joints, bearings or anything else, the chance of finding them too soon is almost zero. The car is too old and the clutch, the brake system, the shock absorbers, the seals, gaskets and maybe more components must be changed, i think it's impossible to be in good condition.
In my opinion, the fastest and the cheapest way to make this car a daily drive it to change engine, transmission (for example a 2.5 TD engine with gearbox and transfer box), the axles and the brake system. If you can buy all this cheap enough, maybe from a scrapyard or something, all you have to do is to fit them in the car. It's not so simple, but if you have some skills and imagination you can do this.
The suspension it's not so comfortable so if you'll change the axles you can change it too.
Maybe other forum members will have other recomandations. Let's wait and see.
Rezzato
Nou venit
Nou venit

Post by Rezzato »

Who manufactured the transmission? Does it have a specific model name? Was it used in other vehicles?
Thanks guys!
Werner
Aro Club Romania
Aro Club Romania

Post by Werner »

Engine and transmision was own production, it was ARO.
arrowhunter
Nou venit
Nou venit

Post by arrowhunter »

Hi Rezzato,
Do you still have the ARO?